Our logo was designed when the band was formed in September 1998 by Aubrey Beswick and Ted Grinham. It consists of the coat of arms for the now defunct Morley Borough surrounded by the band’s name. The logo received a little digital tidying up in 2008 in order to work better online! Click the logo below for a larger version.
Morley And District Concert Band Logo
Morley became a borough in 1886 after development during the Industrial Revolution. As a result it features the symbolic principal industries of Morley’s past: textiles (via the cotton plant and the shuttle), coal mining and quarrying (represented by the pickaxe and shovel). The cannon balls represent the Civil War conflicts of 1643.
The motto contained on the arms, ‘Industria omnia vincit’ (translating from Latin as ‘Industry conquers All’) is not included on our logo, neither are the arms’ colours. The original Morley coat of arms is displayed below, courtesy of Robert Young, Civic Heraldry of England and Wales (link opens in a new window).
Morley Borough Coat Of Arms
In December 2010, the logo received its first official alteration for Christmas. This saw the addition of Santa Claus and Rudolph leaning against the main part of the Morley Borough Coat Of Arms. This version of the logo was revived in December 2011 when it graced the web site in temporary place of the traditional Morley And District Concert logo, as well as continuing to be used on collection buckets.
The Christmas Version of our logo